World Sugar Production
Sugar is produced in 120 countries. Global production now at around 180 million tonnes a year.

Approximately 80% is produced from sugar cane, which is largely grown in tropical countries. The remaining 20% is produced from sugar beet, which is grown mostly in the temperate zones of the northern hemisphere. 70 countries produce sugar from sugar cane, 40 from sugar beet, and 10 from both. The 10 largest sugar producing nations represent roughly 75% of world sugar production. Brazil alone accounts for almost 25% of world production. Its share is increasing although the country’s output has witnessed some setback since the 2008-2009 crisis.